Current news and events related to Fire Safety/Services/Prevention.
A fire broke out on the 22nd floor of the multi-storeyed Air India building in Mumbai's Nariman Point this morning. There have been no casualties or injuries, a fire department official said. Soon after the incident, eight fire engines and seven water tankers were rushed to the spot and the flames were contained, fire department officials said. "It is a B+G+22 (basement plus ground floor plus 22 floors) structure," they said. An Air India spokesperson said that the minor fire (which broke out on the 22nd floor of AI building in Mumbai this morning) was brought under control within minutes by Air India security personnel with assistance from fire department officials and other agencies. Air India said that the damage is being assessed. "The top management is at the site and the CMD is also rushing to the site from Delhi," the spokesperson added.
A day after two floors of the ground plus three-storey JK Somani building in Fort were gutted in a massive fire, the trustee and caretaker remain “unreachable“ to the building's tenants, most of them young lawyers. The lawyers, around a dozen of them, who occupied the building's first floor, have little hope of recovering, among others, important documents and client briefs. According to them, the documents, if not destroyed in the conflagration, are possibly submerged under the water that was used to douse the fire that broke out late on Wednesday. As importantly, the BMC has refused to allow the tenants access to the building because of the precarious condition it is in. “The BMC officer told us that they will first do a visual audit to ascertain if we can even enter the place. For this they require someone from the JK Somani Trust to be present. However, both the chairman and the caretaker were nowhere to be found. In fact, they refuse to answer our calls,“ said Sandeep Shinde, who had recently started his own firm, Ergo Juris, in the same building, along with two other friends. Patent and Trademark lawyer Amol Patil, who had rented out an office space and inaugurated it on 26th November, had a similar story to tell. “The caretaker would never miss a single date during collection, now they don't even seem to be bothered after the incident. We don't want our deposit back immediately, but they will have to do something about it eventually.“ When Mirror contacted the caretaker Sunil Sharma (appointed by lessee), he said he has nothing to do with anything and refused to divulge any details. JK Somani Trust, which owned the building, had rented out the first floor to Blossom Estate Pvt Ltd, which sublet the space to private firms, among others. STRUCTURAL AUDIT “We have written to the owner of the building, asking him to get a detailed structural audit of the entire building done. Unless the building is declared safe by an auditor, we will not allow anyone to go inside. The building has been sealed for now,“ said Kiran Dighavkar, Assistant Municipal Commissioner, A ward. Dighavkar said that the BMC has also asked a contractor to prop up the damaged structure. “We will have to prop up the structure so that it doesn't collapse. The central staircase and other portions of the building suffered severe structural damage due to the cylinder blasts,“ Dighavkar said.BMC officials said that the owner of the building would be held responsi ble in case the building falls and damages neighbouring structures. The massive fire that destroyed two floors of the JK Somani building, near the Bombay Stock Exchange, broke out on Wednesday night. While the offices on two floors were gutted, no casualties were reported. The fire was believed to have been doused by 11pm, but it erupted again two hours later and engulfed the second and third floors. At 1:30 am, the fire brigade sounded a brigade call.The building, which houses the offices of stockbrokers and advocates, is located on the British Hotel Lane in Fort.
The firefighting system attached to the ceiling of a basement parking at a newly constructed upmarket building in Ghatkopar came crashing down on Saturday, injuring a security guard and damaging 30 vehicles. A case has been registered against the builder and the contractor who installed the system. The police said they will record statements arresting anyone. The contractor refused to comment.
Residents of the building, The Address, said the incident took place early in the morning as the pipeline of the system collapsed. The guard, Ankush Gole, sustained injuries to his neck.Other guards, with help of the residents, took him to a hospital, where he is recuperating. The residents said they examined the spot after and found that the g system had not been fitted properly; and hence, they filed a case.
After the incident, the residents demanded an audit of all safety systems in the building. “ A week ago, one of the lifts stopped with jerk after coming down at a high speed.Those inside the lift had got scared. We had approached the police and reported the incident then too,“ said Pramod Goyal, who is part of the ad hoc building committee.
The builder and the contractor have been booked under IPC sections 336 (endangering life or personal safety of others), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 427 (mischief causing damage) and 34 (common intention).
Two people died and 14 people were rescued after a major fire broke out in a residential flat on the 20th floor of Maker Tower in Cuffe Parade at 6:45 am on Tuesday. The fire was brought under control at around 8:30 am after eight fire engines and six water tankers rushed to the spot. Chief fire officer, P. Rahangdale stated that the fire officials had found the two domestic helps in the servant quarters under the internal staircase. “The two help were possibly already dead when the fire officials found them. Apart from them, we rescued seven people from the family and seven others from the same floor,” he said. He added that they were rushed to St George Hospital where they were pronounced dead,” he said. Rahangdale added that a one-year-old baby was also rescued and taken to the same hospital. A ward officials ward stated that the fire reportedly broke out in the house of Shekhar Bajaj, the managing director of Bajaj Electricals and the building is under MMRDA’s jurisdiction. “The cooling operations at the building are still on but the fire probably started in the air conditioning unit and spread from there,” said a ward official.
Courtesy~ The Indian Express
A fire broke out at Hiranandani Towers in Kandivali West, Mumbai on Thursday afternoon. Eight fire tenders have been rushed to the spot. The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained. The fire reportedly broke out on the 32nd floor of the building, a little after 1 pm and has been graded as a level III fire, indicating it’s of a serious nature. The chief fire officer at the site said that according to first information received, nobody has been trapped as such, and that the building has been fully evaluated. Extinguishing and search operation is on, the officer said. The building has two basements, a ground level, and 32 floors. The fire has been confined to apartments on the 32nd floor. Two ambulances have also been rushed to the site but it was not known if there were any injuries.
A major fire broke out in a two-storey old wooden building at Mazgaon in south Mumbai on Wednesday afternoon. A cylinder blast is suspected to be the cause of fire. However, no injuries have been reported.
According to the Mumbai Fire Brigade, the fire started from the second floor of the Bandukwala Building. The fire quickly spread to the remaining parts of the floor due to the predominant use of wood in the structure. Around 8 fire engines, 7 water tankers and 1 ambulance were rushed to the spot for fire-fighting. Within an hour, the fire fighters could control the blaze and confine it to the second floor itself.~courtesy: DNA
A massive fire broke out in a 11-storey building on Linking Road in suburban Bandra on Friday afternoon. According to information from the disaster management, the fire was reported triggered due to a suspected short-circuit on the sixth floor of the shopping complex, which is opposite the RD National College.
"We received an emergency call from one of the local shopkeepers of the blaze on the top floor, at around 11:30 am. Immediately, emergency services were pressed into action including, eight fire tenders, a jumbo tanker and an ambulance," said a disaster management officer.
It took around two hours for the firefighters to gain control on the fire. The cooling operations started post 2:40pm. "The building was unoccupied when the fire broke out. The shopping complex had only recently secured occupation certificate (OC) and businesses were yet to start," added the officer.
Meanwhile, the fire brigade officials, who inspected the shopping complex, raised questions on the internal sprinkler system (anti-fire), as no alarm went off after the fire broke out. A case has been registered in the said incident at the local police station.(courtesy DNA)